If you're a non-US resident looking for a bank alternative to Novel Bank, you may be struggling to find a solution that doesn't require an SSN (Social Security Number). Thankfully, there are options available that can help you manage your money without having to worry about obtaining an SSN.
Payoneer offers your business a multi-currency account to pay and get paid globally, as easily as you can locally. This all-in-one account gives you everything you need to get paid by your international clients and global marketplaces, pay your suppliers, and invest in growing your business.
- Global access.
- Low fees.
- Withdraw your earnings locally.
- Pay your global suppliers. contractors and business expenses.
- Licensed and regulated by multiple government regulators.
- Get paid in multiple currencies.
- High card transaction fees.
- It adds a currency conversion charge of 2% for international transactions.
- It also charges an annual fee for the usage of Mastercard.
TD Bank provides Simple, Convenience, and Beyond checking accounts that differ in perks, monthly fees, interest, and sign-up bonuses. TD Bank checking accounts give customers access to a large East Coast-based network of branches and ATMs. There’s either a minimum daily balance requirement or a monthly fee for checking with TD Bank’s three general options. Accounts are available in Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
- Low minimum daily balance requirement—plus, great discounts.
- No monthly maintenance fee with a $100 minimum daily balance, plus great discounts.
- Free incoming wires and reimbursement for 1 outgoing wire (domestic or international) per statement cycle.
- No ATM fees with a $2,500 minimum daily balance.
- $0 Minimum opening deposit.
- Online & Mobile Banking.
- Monthly fee.
Relay is powerful (and free) business banking designed to help grow your business. This free online business account is a good fit for companies that want to integrate their banking and cash management services.
- No monthly fees or minimum balance requirements.
- No overdraft fees, unlimited transactions, and free incoming wire transfers.
- Business owners can have up to 20 business checking accounts and 50 Mastercard® debit cards (virtual or physical).
- Ability to set transaction and withdrawal limits on employee debit cards.
- Cannot deposit cash or order checks.
- Long hold time for deposited checks (up to 6-7 business days).
The NorthOne business bank account is a worthwhile option for any small business owner looking for an online business checking account. For a $10 monthly fee, NorthOne offers unlimited fee-free transactions, fee-free in-network ATM access, and a variety of digital tools.
- Unlimited fee-free transactions.
- No NorthOne fees when you use a Mastercard Cirrus or MoneyPass ATM; ability to deposit cash through the Green Dot network.
- Digital banking tools include unlimited Envelopes, bill pay, and expense management.
- Integrate with business tools, including QuickBooks, Shopify, Stripe, Square, and Expensify.
- Access customer support via in-app live chat, phone, or email with extended hours.
- $10 monthly fee, with no options to waive.
- You may incur ATM fees from the ATM owner-operator, even when in-network.
- Cash deposits at Green Dot locations incur a fee of up to $4.95 per deposit.
- Can’t send or receive international wires.
- High fees, and low limits for cash deposits.
Axos Bank is one of the oldest online-only banks around. Formed in 2000, it continues to grow, offering full-service banking for individuals and businesses. This in-depth review of one of the online banking industry leaders will give you insight into the accounts and services available through Axos Bank and whether it’s the right bank for you.
- Full-Service Banking.
- ATM Fee Reimbursements.
- No monthly fees.
- Offers Rewards and CashBack checking options.
- Pay competitive interest rates on its savings products.
- No Physical Branches.
- Average CD Rates.
- Lower Savings Rates.
Chase Business Complete Checking is a digital-friendly account from a traditional bank — ideal for small-business owners who want branch access.
- No overdraft fees, spend only what you have.
- No fees on money orders or cashier’s checks.
- No fees when you cash checks, send money using Zelle, or use a Chase ATM.
- No fees to pay bills with Chase Online SM Bill Pay.
- No minimum deposit to get started.
- $4.95 Monthly Service Fee.
Wells Fargo offers a large network of branches, many ATMs, and a variety of financial products. Monthly fees on basic bank accounts can be easily waived, but savings rates tend to be low. If you have a high enough balance across eligible accounts, you could receive upgrades on interest rates (but they’re still lower than the national average). Wells Fargo may be a good fit if you’re looking for a large network of branches and ATM access is important to you.
- Account: Everyday Checking.
- US residence required: Yes (though not necessarily primary residence).
- SSN/ITIN required: Only for US citizens.
- No minimum daily balance required - Outgoing int'l wire cost: $30 plus an additional 4%-10% (depending on the currency)
Yields on certificates of deposit and savings accounts are low, like many big banks.
There is an out-of-network ATM fee of $2.50 for checking account customers.
The money market account has a steeper monthly fee if a specified balance isn’t maintained.
Wells Fargo still charges a $35 fee for over-drafting your account on most of its checking accounts.
Citi Bank is one of the largest Neobanks in the country, specializing in credit cards. Citi offers 13 types of cards, including free ones (no monthly fee). The Visa and Mastercard standards are accepted all around the world. Cash withdrawal is free from 65,000 ATMs. Citibank allows its clients to shop online and offline, and make international transfers. The mobile app features detailed analytics on the accounts and cards; as well as options for systematizing expenses. Also, the digital bank offers savings accounts at up to 1.01%.
- No minimum opening deposit.
- Paperless statements option.
- Unlimited reimbursement of non-Citi ATM fees.
- No foreign exchange fee when using Citibank Debit Card abroad.
- Does not provide a Multi-currency account.
- Does not issue debit cards (pre-paid).
- High-interest rate (APR) for most credit cards of the bank is rather high, up to 26.49%.
The Bank of America is the second-largest bank in the US and one of the top ten largest globally, Bank of America is a financial services titan that provides a wide assortment of retail, business, and investment banking services to over 66 million customers across the globe.
- Low monthly maintenance fees and minimum opening deposits.
- Very familiar with opening accounts for foreigners.
- Lots of international partner ATMs.
- Monthly fee $4.95 - 3% Int'l card payment cost.
- Relatively high foreign transaction fees.